110 Questions to Ask on a First Date
Have you ever been stuck trying to think of good first date questions? Or maybe just stuck making small talk and run out of things to say?
I’ve compiled a list of what I think are some pretty good first date questions to get to know someone better. While some lists will have you asking your date about hypothetical situations (e.g., if you won the lottery tomorrow, what’s the first thing you’d buy), I think on a first date it’s better to stick to the basics.
What you’re trying to do is figure out if you’re compatible and have anything in common (at least that’s what you should be doing). Chemistry will only take you so far if you’re looking for a partner and not just a date, so at some point, you’ll want to take inventory of how much you overlap.
That doesn’t mean you have to both like cats, drink coffee, and enjoy long walks on the beach—in fact, it might get boring if you’re too much alike. It just means that you should be aware if there are things on which you don’t agree and figure out how much of a problem that could be down the road.
I haven’t included the obvious on this list: Do you want kids? I really think that’s a second or third date question.
This list could also be used for small talk when you don’t know someone well and can’t think of what to talk about.
Of course, don’t become an interrogator and just keep asking questions. Pick 5 or so of your favorite, write them down, and keep them handy for when the conversation dries up.
- What ‘s your favorite hobby?
- What is your favorite book?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- What’s your favorite TV show?
- What’s your favorite music?
- What’s your favorite food?
- Do you have any pets?
- Do you have any siblings?
- Who is your favorite author?
- What’s your nickname?
- What countries have you visited?
- Where were you born?
- What sports do you play?
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- Do you have a favorite quote?
- Are you a morning person or night owl?
- What’s your favorite restaurant?
- Where do you work?
- Do you like your job?
- What’s your favorite vacation spot?
- Do you have any fears or phobias?
- What are your pet peeves?
- Do you prefer cats or dogs?
- What’s your favorite animal?
- Where’s one place you’d like to travel that you’ve never been?
- Are you messy or neat?
- Are you organized or disorganized?
- Do you prefer phone calls or texting?
- Do you have any tattoos?
- What’s your favorite song?
- What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
- What’s your favorite snack food?
- What’s your favorite drink?
- Do you like amusement parks?
- Would you ever bungee jump?
- Are you a homebody or party animal?
- What’s your ideal job?
- What are you most proud of in your life?
- What’s the best advice anyone has given you?
- What’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done?
- Would you like to be famous?
- Do you like camping?
- Are there foods you don’t eat?
- What were you like as a kid?
- Who are the most important people in your life?
- What makes you laugh?
- Do you have any big dreams for the future?
- What do you do on the weekends?
- Where did you grow up?
- What was your family like growing up?
- What’s on your bucket list?
- Where did you go to school?
- What was your major?
- Where exactly do you live?
- Do you prefer coffee or tea?
- Do you follow celebrity gossip?
- Do you like to cook?
- When’s your birthday?
- Where feels like “home” to you?
- Do you like going to concerts?
- What do you like about your job?
- What don’t you like about your job?
- Are you close to your family?
- How did your parents meet?
- Where is your family from?
- Do you play any instruments?
- Do you have a favorite podcast?
- Do you have a favorite app?
- What’s your hidden talent?
- What’s the longest relationship you’ve been in?
- Are you into social media?
- What’s your biggest regret?
- What’s a problem you’re facing lately?
- What’s your typical day like?
- Have you been to Disney World?
- What’s something I wouldn’t guess about you?
- What’s the most spontaneous things you’ve ever done?
- What are your friends like?
- What makes you unique?
- How was your day?
- Do you collect anything?
- How do you feel about… [insert something you’re passionate about]?
- What are your political views?
- Who inspires you?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- Do you prefer sweet or salty foods?
- What’s something you want to try but have been scared to?
- What’s a misconception people have about you?
- What makes someone attractive to you?
- Are you an optimist or pessimist?
- If you had one hour to live, what would you do?
- Who is your favorite celebrity?
- When is the last time you cried?
- What’s your favorite emoji?
- Have you ever broken a bone?
- What’s your favorite season?
- Do you prefer hot or cold weather?
- What do your parents do for work?
- Do you believe in aliens?
- Do you have a favorite sports team?
- What was your favorite subject in school?
- What’s the craziest event you’ve ever witnessed?
- If you could have any superpower what would it be?
- What’s your greatest strength?
- What’s your favorite color?
- What’s your favorite city?
- Do you have any vices?
- Are you an introvert or extrovert?
- Have you ever had your heart broken?
- What’s your most irrational fear?
(Watch the video below to see how questions can help turn a first date into something more)
That’s it! Hopefully, you feel inspired by some of the questions to learn some things about your date. What are your favorite things to ask on a first date? I hope you’ll share in the comments below.
Related Posts about Dating Anxiety
- What to Do If You Feel Alone on Valentine’s Day
- What to Do if you Have no Friends
- 9 Ways to Manage Eye Contact Anxiety
110 Good First Date Questions (That Also Work for Small Talk)
Here are some of my favorite social anxiety tools
Thanks for reading! I hope you found some helpful tips. Since this site is about social anxiety, I wanted to also share some tools I use that I hope you’ll find helpful. Some of these are affiliate links, so if you decide to try them, I’ll earn a commission. However, I only recommend things I have used myself and would recommend to a friend or family member.
Social Anxiety Masterclass: The Social Anxiety Masterclass is my signature course where I walk you through everything I know about how to manage social anxiety.
Audible Subscription: I recommend a lot of self-help books on this site, but I actually prefer an audiobook subscription over print books! My favorite subscription service is Audible because it has all the best-sellers and they stay in your digital library forever (even if you end your subscription). You can sign up for a free trial and listen to your first two books for free.
Online Therapy: For online therapy, I have personally used and like the service offered by Betterhelp. It's easy to get started from the comfort of your home. You'll even get a discount on your first month of therapy when you use my link.
How to Double Your Social Confidence in 5 Minutes"
Check out this free training offered by the experts at Social Self!
- How to use "Conversational Threading" to avoid awkward silence
- The proven way to get past boring small talk
- Instantly beat self-consciousness with the "OFC-method"
- Busting the myth that you have to get a "more interesting life" to be more interesting"