Gifts to Help People Who Are Depressed
Are you looking for ideas of gifts for people with depression? Your loved ones and friends with depression probably need your time and attention more than anything. But beyond that, there are certain things you can give them that will help to lift them up.
These include items that will help to promote healthy habits, help encourage rational thinking, as well as just make them feel comforted and safe. Below are some ideas to get you started.
Tech & Gadgets
If you’re thinking of technology or gadgets as gifts, there are lots of options. Light therapy has been shown to be an effective treatment for seasonal depression, so that’s an easy gift idea for anyone who seems to suffer mostly in the dark winter months. Any sort of tracker (fitness, brain sensing) is also a good idea since it’s not something a person might buy for themselves but will be grateful to receive (and probably put to good use).
Books are an easy choice for anyone living with low mood. You don’t even have to choose one that’s obviously about depression; Furiously Happy is a good example of a mainstream book dealing with a difficult topic.
- Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy
- Start Where You Are: A Journal for Self-Exploration
- Retrain Your Brain: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in 7 Weeks
- Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things
Journaling has many mental health benefits, especially if it’s done on a regular basis. Make it easier for that person with depression to make journaling a habit by providing them with a workbook that guides the process.
Do you want to be really helpful to someone who is really struggling (and whom you know well)? An option might be to sign them up for online therapy. Plans with Betterhelp are as little as $65 per week and they don’t even have to leave home to chat with their therapist. Readers of this blog also receive a 20% discount off the first month of Betterhelp therapy when using the link below.
Here’s a sneaky way to buy a gift for a person with depression: make it a gift that’s all about their health! Everyone wants to be healthier, so these types of gifts are easier to give. An easy example is a nice water bottle that encourages them to stay hydrated and drink more water.
It’s so easy to let self care slide when you are depressed. Make it easy for your friend or family member to take care of themselves with a gift that encourages self-care practices like using essential oil, drinking tea, or taking supplements.
- Ylang Ylang essential oil
- The Republic of Tea Be Well Red Rooibos Tea – Get Happy
- Spray The B!#ch Away – Aromatherapy Spray for PMS, Menopause, Relaxation
Mindfulness helps to keep you in the present moment without worrying about the past or the future. Some simple and thoughtful mindfulness gifts include a miniature zen garden or a lemon tree.
- Nature’s Mark, Mini Meditation Zen Garden
- Housewarming Meyer Lemon Gift Tree by The Magnolia Company
Do you want to give a gift that makes someone smile each time they use it? In that case, you might want to consider a cute mug with an uplifting quote.
- Smiley Happy Face Stoneware Coffee Mug
- You Are Fearless Mug
- You’re Awesome Keep That Sh*t Up Mug
- Today Will Be Magical Unicorn Mug
Jewelry can be inspirational if you live with depression. Here are some ideas of jewelry gifts for people with depression.
- You are Braver Than You Believe Stronger Than You Seem and Smarter Than You Think Cuff Bangle Bracelet
- Inspirational Gifts for Women Hidden Message Cuff Bracelet
Do you think your friend or family member needs an ego boost? Give them a temporary tattoo that helps to remind them of their inner best self.
Basic Daily Help
When it gets right down to it, some people with depression just need help with basic daily stuff like eating, cleaning, and sleeping. Some good ideas for this include an Amazon home cleaning service, Hello Fresh for meal deliver, and a weighted blanket to encourage better sleep.
- Coping with Depression Over the Holidays
- 65+ Gifts for People with Anxiety
- Where to Find Help for Social Anxiety