How to Get Out of Your Comfort Zone and Try New Things When You Have Social Anxiety
I know what you’re thinking. I don’t want to leave my comfort zone, it is what keeps me safe. That may be true, but then why are you here?
If you feel like social anxiety is holding you back in some way, then stepping outside your comfort zone a little bit at a time is going to help.
I’m not talking about going to do Karaoke this weekend. Start small and build from there. Here are 50 ideas to get you thinking about how to escape your comfort zone.
How to Get Out of Your Comfort Zone
1. Give a compliment to someone who intimidates you or someone in a position of authority over you.
2. Play the music in your car really loud so that other people can hear it. Sing along if you dare, really loud.
3. Eat in a restaurant by yourself. Nobody cares!
4. Have a difficult conversation with someone about a topic that you’ve been avoiding.
5. Take a new fitness class that you’ve been putting off because of anxiety about other people watching you.
6. Ask someone on a date who you’ve been wanting to ask but haven’t had the courage.
7. Ride a mechanical bull. You might want to build up to this one!
8. Sign up for an improv class. There are often classes specifically designed for overcoming social anxiety.
9. Attend a costume party at Halloween or for some other fun occasion.
10. Sing Karaoke. Pick a song you like and do the best you can, but don’t worry too much because nobody does well at Karaoke. It’s just supposed to be fun (and kind of funny).
11. Make a fool of yourself on a public dance floor. Dance like Elaine Benes in Seinfeld or try out some dance moves that you have far from perfected.
12. Apply for a job that intimidates you or that you don’t think you’ll get.
13. Invite someone to lunch who you’d love to have a conversation with.
14. Start a conversation with a stranger in a shop or other public place.
15. Attend a Meetup group for social anxiety.
16. Perform some type of public speaking. This could be as simple as giving a toast.
17. Make a new friend. Offer to do something to help someone and take it from there.
18. Lead instead of follow. For once, state your opinion instead of letting everyone else decide.
19. Purposefully live out your most embarrassing scenario and get it over with (you’ll live!)
20. Wear something ridiculous that draws attention to you, like a big floppy hat at a wedding or a pair of army boots to a party.
21. Get a tattoo. Choose your favorite quote or something you can live with for a long time.
22. Smile at everyone you see for an entire day.
23. Go to a movie by yourself and laugh out loud at the funny scenes.
24. Try a new hobby or sport that you’ve wanted to try but have been too anxious.
25. Spend a day focusing on being kind to others. Notice how it eventually spills over into being more kind to yourself.
26. Leave an unexpected note for someone.
27. Take a different route to work.
28. Sit in a different spot than where you usually sit. If you always sit at the back of the class, go to the middle or the front.
29. Wear something you purchased but haven’t worn yet.
30. Tell someone they are interesting and give a reason why.
(Watch this TED Talk from Jia Jiang who stepped out of his comfort zone and tried to get people to say no to him for 100 days)
31. Go somewhere new to eat.
32. Start a blog.
33. Attend a yoga class.
34. Apply to a job in a completely new field.
35. Volunteer for a charity.
36. Start a business.
37. Walk into a room with confidence.
38. Speak in a loud and clear voice.
39. Look people in the eye when you talk to them.
40. Tell a story at a party.
41. Make what you think is a scary decision but that feels right.
42. Choose to be yourself instead of who you think people want you to be.
43. Be compassionate and accepting of others no matter what.
44. Focus on what you did right for a day.
45. Take on a persona of someone different than you for a day.
46. Ask for help.
47. Stand up for yourself.
48. Speak in a group conversation.
49. Participate in a class discussion.
50. Say hello to someone you find attractive.
WANT TO REMEMBER THIS? SAVE 50 WAYS TO GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD!